Today, a group of University of Michigan Alumni had the opportunity to
go aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier in Norfolk, VA.
I knew these ships were big, but did not realize how massive
they are until I went aboard.
One of our fellow alums served as a captain on the carrier and
gave us a personal tour (along with some other young seamen).
We boarded the carrier on the deck where the aircrafts are
stored. This view is taken from the middle of the carrier so
it is only half of the deck area.
I was amazed at how shiny the floors were.
This is looking up at the bridge from the flight deck.
The control room. This is where all crafts are arranged on the
table and organized as to what services they need, if the
are flying out or just came in. About 65 planes can be housed
on the carrier at one time.
Looking at "part" of the flight deck. The hole on the right
side is one of three "lifts" or elevators that bring planes
up from the lower deck.
On the bridge. Tom and our friend, John, checking out
one of the controls.
Looking down one of the elevators that bring up
the planes stored below deck.
Looking down one of the hallways below deck two
stories down.
One of the mess halls. The food services was quite
impressive. The serve 3 - 4 meals per day for 3,000 people.
In the officer's mess hall there are several display cabinets
of silver pieces that Roosevelt collected. This punch bowl
was massive.
We had a great day!

2 comments:
That looks like so much fun!
That is awesome! I just realized I hadn't looked at your blog in months! So I am finally all caught up. It was fun to see so many pics of Avery & Piper. Now you will have to do a new post from your latest trip with the move to Cincinnati!
Post a Comment