Thursday, July 23, 2009

What to do when it rains!

We have had more thunderstorms than we have ever had in the past. It has poured every night and during most of the days we have been here. But that doesn't stop us from making the best of each day.

Just down the street from our house is Studio 12. It's an art studio where you pick out a piece of unfinished pottery and you paint it, then they fired it. Kendall, Krista and Rhaegan went yesterday and then Christine, Colleen and I went today. You will have to stay tune for a look at the finished products.

We then have a tradition to get t-shirts that represent our trip. We decided to walk to the store. On the way the ice-cream truck came by and of course Papa Cupps couldn't resist getting Rhaegan some ice-cream. Who can guess who her ice-cream is?


Even with the bad thunderstorms we went to the beach. We first had to check out Nicholas' sandcastle to see if it survived the storm. This is what was left of it:

Kendall and Rhaegan:


Three of my children who are here decided to
wrestle the incredibly large waves. Being former
lifeguards you would think they would have
better common sense:


Nicholas leads the way:

Nicholas gets hurt:
When he came up out of a huge wave Krista was dragging him at the same time waving for help. All the people around were coming over asking if he was with us. They thought a shark had mangled his foot. Dad and Shae had to carry him home and then Denise drove him up to Nags Head to the closest Urgent Care. After many hours he finally arrived back:

"Poor Baby" maybe he will think twice next time!

A tradition is to eat dinner at a joint called "Top Dog." It is known for its hamburgers. They have a burger that has 1 1/2 pounds of meat (The Tsunami) and a 2 pound burger (The Cyclone). If you eat one of them you get a trophy. We all look forward to this night.


Rhaegan helped entertain Marlee as we waited
for our food:


The food was great and we were exhausted. Heading home Rhaegan had to show off her beautiful crown.

It was a great day and despite the weather we made the most of the day.

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

Is it Domo?

[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/2ymgcw8.jpg[/IMG]

Quinten said...

So, what happened to Nick?

Kate said...

Poor Nick! But you didn't quite finish the story? So... what did happen to him?
And it took me a while to get it, but I think it's Dora ice cream. Am I right?
Looks like you are all having tons of fun! And the change in weather must be nice.

Kendall said...

Hilarious!! Well it wasn't exactly hilarious when the drama actually took place but looking back it's pretty funny. Nick, Krista and I were pretty dumb to think that we could battle the huge waves. It was fun though.


PS....Nick thought he broke his foot. He was on the balls of his feet squating down when a HUGE wave broke right on top of him. His weight and the pressure of the wave crushed his foot down in a very awkward manner. Nick will have to explain better.

mapacupps said...

You are right Kate, it is Dora.
Nick hyperextended his foot and broke the blood vessel across the top. He has to stay off of it for awhile, but will be o.k.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Rhaegan holding her sister at the table. How cute is that?

Nicholas Cupps said...

This is a message to all you idiots like me out there. First off, don't go swimming in the ocean when it is angry. :)

I severely sprained my right foot. I thought I had broken it and I still believe that I partially tore some tendons, but Denise thinks I am just trying to milk this for all it is worth. My foot is quite swollen and is black and blue. I will probably be on crutches for a week or so as putting any pressure on it hurts. All-in-all I was very lucky. While we were at the Urgent Care center, the doctor said "I'm not trying to scare you, but 3 people have broken their necks this week and will never walk again!" Three poor souls went to the beach for a nice week of fun in the sun and their lives have been forever altered because of doing stupid things in the ocean. I have to tell you, that story made me crap my pants and I will think twice before trying to brave waves of that size again.

The scariest part of the whole ordeal was the fear I had that I wouldn't be able to get out of the ocean after it had happened. The current was so strong and it kept trying to pull me out. I was trying to crawl out using my hands and one foot but I kept getting pulled in. Luckily Krista was there to save me. THANKS SO MUCH KRISTA! I'm not sure I would be here if it weren't for you! Also Thanks to Dad and Shae for carrying me back to the house. You're lucky I have lost 15 pounds this year :)

Anyway, my foot is doing better each day.