Sunday, July 12, 2009

YES, IT's GIRL's CAMP

There is one thing I HATE doing more than cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping and even changing a poopy diaper. Yes, it is camping.

As the Young Women's President I was asked to go to camp. After a lot of effort trying to find a an acceptable excuse not to go, I figured it would be a good idea to go so I could "bond" with my girls. 14 girls from our ward went. And I can say I actually had a good time.

Sleeping in cabins infested with spiders and mice was a blast. We ended up having a extra girl in our cabin so I had to sleep on the floor (with a thin mattress from another cabin bunk). The darling girls kept stepping on my bed, so by day 2 I had more dirty shoe prints on my sheets than I had clean areas. The girls also ate food while sitting on my bed and left their crumbs (great mice attracters). The showers and toilets had bugs I had never seen before. The water was hot and the food was cold. And the noise level from cheers and screams was deafening. At least my toothbrush was left alone and I had a cooler full of diet Coke.

While eating our meals, the girls would yell to another girl about "getting down" which meant the girl would have to stand on the beach and dance (boogey) while they sang this song. Well one night I heard, "Hey Sister Cupps, show us how to get down." I tried to "decline" but being very pressured I jumped on the bench and showed what I had. It was the talk of the camp because I was the only leader who would shake her booty. Sorry no pictures.

Well the activities were fun, the canoeing was a blast, the food was edible, the girls were energetic, and the weather cooperated, so all ended positively.

This is me and Deborah Talbert (our ward camp director).
She made this poster. The girls had to past by
it every time they left their cabin.

Well now I have 350 days until the next camp outing. Will I go? Maybe we should have a contest and vote!

4 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so glad to get some details! I'm sure your girls were so happy to have you there. And good for you for having such a good attitude about it all! ;)

Next stop... the BEACH for some much deserved R&R!

Kenneth said...

Hilton seems to be instore for next year. Kyle and me would do the father and son thing then head to a motel for the night, it was great.

Jeanne said...

You crack me up! How true it is... temporal conditions are always rough at Girl's camp, but the Spirit makes it so worth the nasty bugs & rotten sleeping conditions!
Those girls are blessed to have you! Serving in YW's is a win-win. I love serving with the youth, they always inspire me to be better! Now you'll be able to relax & enjoy a real vacation with your kids!

Kendall said...

I would have loved to see you shake your booty. I'm actually laughing just picturing it. 4 more days!! Can't wait!