Saturday, May 16, 2009

Trip to Ann Arbor

There's nothing like being in "Big Blue" country!

We spent the past three days in Ann Arbor to attend the 5th "LeRoy Townsend" Symposium. When Dr. Townsend retired the Chemistry department honored him by creating this annual lecture series. When this symposium was first started, Tom was asked to be the first presenter since he was the first to graduate with his PhD from the U of M under Dr. Townsend. It was a great honor and he looks forward to attending this event each year.

There is a lot of work being done on the "Big House".
$30, 000 box seats are being added.
We couldn't even afford the $90 annual football
tickets when we were there.

After the lecture was over we all gathered at the
local bowling alley to bowl, eat pizza and visit.
Besides being Tom's major professor, Dr. Townsend
and his wife have been very close friends and
were like surrogate grandparents to our children.

Tom will always have great admiration for LeRoy.

After bowling and on our way to the picnic and softball game, we drove by student housing where we lived. It hasn't changed a bit except the trees are a little bigger. Our place was the second window to the left.

This was our front door.
They did take the "moon house" out of the sandbox.
The boys use to love playing on it with their friends.

Our last day we were able to spend some time with LeRoy and Sammy really getting caught up on how and what our families are doing. Tom even fit in time to hit golf balls.

We also went and saw "Angels and Demons." It was an excellent show. I have no idea why the critics have been so hard on it. I would recommend it to anyone.

5 comments:

Kendall said...

I'm glad you guys had so much fun in Ann Arbor. I feel like I should remember the townsends but I don't really recognize them. I bet Dad was in heaven being able to spend some time in his past. You guys look great too.

ps...thanks for the movies!! Taken is the best movie out there

Kate said...

It's okay Kendall... Quinten doesn't remember them either. He knows the name... but he said he wouldn't recognize them. (Some great "surrogate grandparents"! Just kidding!)
How fun to go back and visit. I've heard about that apartment. What fun memories for you guys.

Nicholas Cupps said...

The first picture is what I envision the gates of heaveen to look like. :)

Christine said...

I'm glad you had such a great time.

papa Cupps said...

Thanks, hun, for recording this. And to Nick, yes, that is what the pearlly gates will look like