Wednesday, October 3, 2012

More from North Carolina

 I absolutely love rain. The cloudy skies really put me in a good mood. But there has been so much rain here that it is causing the construction on the house to slow down. This is not helping my mood.
But to pass the time we have been finding things to do:

Just a shot from the front foyer looking into the
the great room and sun room:


I was fixing dinner last night and looked outside in the back
of the condo and found Tom trying out his new kayak.
Now I just have to show him how you use it on the
water and not the grass.


There are three main crops growing here: soy bean, tobacco and cotton.
I have been really intrigued with the cotton because I
remember picking cotton on my grandmother's farm in
Arizona when I was a little girl.

This week they will spray a chemical on the fields which
will cause the green leaves to turn brown and fall off
the stalks, leaving the cotton exposed.


Then the combines will come through and dig up the
cotton and bale them.


It's really neat seeing how the cotton grows. It looks like
cotton balls hanging on these stems.



We decided to go golfing today. It was really cloudy and very
humid. This is a cool covered-bridge between the 1st and 2nd hole.


Hole 16 runs by the marina:


Tom hitting over one of the many marshes. 
They make this course so hard. I have developed a real phobia. 
No matter how hard I try to block these hazards out of my mind, 
I still contribute my balls to them.


Hopefully in the next few months when the cat-tails fall down and
you can walk out into the marsh I will be able to recover the
dozens of balls I have hit in.
Just another day on the plantation!



2 comments:

Christine said...

It looks beautiful there. I love the picture of Tom in the kayak. However, I still can't believe you are not in Ohio anymore.

Anonymous said...

Looks like your house is going to be beautiful. Love the big windows. So retirement is picking cotton and playing golf? Fun!