Monday, July 28, 2008

A Lonely Arrival!

Hello Everyone from North Carolina!

Dad and I left for NC Friday at 11:00 am thinking we would arrive at the Plantation by 9:30 pm. Well traffic prevented that, we didn't arrive until midnight.  
Saturday started with an early round of golf.  The weather was gorgeous, a little humid, but then we are in NC.  We then went exploring and decided to ride our bikes on every road in the plantation.  We started on one side and headed to our property.  Just as we got to our road (Standard Bred Dr) Dad's bike made this awful noise.  One of his spokes on his back wheel broke.  I had to ride back to the apartment and get the car to pick him up.  We had ridden 13 miles when this happened so we weren't able to get through the rest of the plantation.
(how many times have we had to rescue dad and his bike???)
Our property is still there.  A little lonely without a house.  But there are two homes across the street now.  Things are looking up.

Sunday morning we went to check in on the Edenton Branch.  The building was so similar to Norwich.  They even had the maroon chairs in the chapel.  The people were so friendly and excited that we might be moving there in the near future.  One interesting thing:  about 10 minutes before the meeting was to start they turned on the CD's for prelude music.  So I told this sister I was sitting next to that I could play the piano or organ if they needed.  She went and told the branch president.  He said thanks, but his daughter-in-law was the pianist and was coming but was just running late.  Well about 5 after 10 he got up and apologized for the late start but they were waiting for her to arrive.  The sister next to me said, "I wish they were just let you play, but the daughter-in-law gets very upset if anyone else plays." That was weird!

After church we headed for the beach.  We were just approaching the bridges close to Manteo when we hit the red light on this draw bridge.  I looked around and couldn't see any large boats, only this tiny sailboat.  Well that's what needed to cross.  The bridge, instead of the road lifting up, swung out to let the boat through.  You can see the sailboat just to the right of the orange light.  We finally arrived in Avon about 4:30.  The Nobles had just arrived and Nick was on the upper deck greeting us as we pulled in.

After unpacking the car and Tom taking his bike to the bike shop we decided to go out for dinner since it was such a "small" group.  We went to the Dolphin Den.  It was really good food and was so fun to be with the Nobles.  BUT it is really weird not having all of you here with us. Dad just said, "I keep waiting for the kids to come up the stairs.  It is too quiet."

2 comments:

Kate said...

I think I speak for all of us when I say "WE WISH WE WERE THERE!" If it wasn't so darn far away and so expensive to buy plane tickets (and hotel and rent a car)... :(
We were telling the kids that Grandma & Grandpa are in NC right now at the beach, and Tyson got pretty upset and said, "Well why didn't they invite us???"
Have fun and we miss you.

Christine said...

If no one else is coming, can we come? It looks beautiful, relaxing, and fun.