Sunday, November 23, 2008

We Pulled It Off!

Nicholas wanted to throw a surprise birthday party for Denise. One, he thought it would be a fun thing to do and a great way to celebrate, But, also to help Denise see that it was o.k. to turn 30. She is an animal in the gym and could out exercise anyone.
Everyone (80 were invited) arrived and I had snacks, i.e. chips with hot artichoke/spinach dip, clam dip, salsa, smokies-in-a-blanket and buffalo wings etc., to eat to wait out her arrival.
Finally, Nick sent a text to Nils that they were 5 minutes away. We turned the lights off and waited.

When she turned on the light we yelled, "surprise," and 
she about passed out. She was truly surprised.
It was awesome to see her reaction.

Denise with many of her friends.

She loves ice-cream cake.
(We had three of them)

It was great having some familiar faces there. I really enjoyed talking to Matt and Colleen. She looks so cute pregnant. Denise is showing off one of her shoes she bought when Nick took her shoes shopping. They went to dinner and then shopping while all the guests arrived at the house.

A surprise party with LOTS of friends is a great way
to receive LOTS of wonderful gifts.

Denise is modeling a knit cap and scarf my mother made her.

It was a great time and we were so glad we were able to pull off the surprise. Happy Birthday Denise. The next 30 years will be even better.

6 comments:

Kate said...

I'm so glad you had fun! Looks like a great party.

I'm a little concerned about what the girl in the red jacket is doing to Denise in the second picture down. What's up with that??

Kendall said...

That looks like it was so much fun!!! I wish I could have been there. It was also great that Matt and Colleen could be there.

Krista said...

Glad you pulled it off! With that many people I was worried something would spoil the surprise. Good team effort :)

Quinten said...

Hey mom...i read your blog!

mapacupps said...

Kate, you are right. I didn't even see it. But actually she was about to give Denise a hug. I just happened to take the picture as her arm was going around Denise. It's just a "photo" illusion.

Kristin said...

So two surprise parties in a month. I think someone should throw you party!