Tuesday, July 15, 2014

A Day in Goslar!

The day started early because Tom was determined to continue
his hunt for the church he met in here during his mission.
Yesterday we walked several miles of streets looking but didn't 
find it so the hunt continues today.
After breakfast of bread, cheese and yogurt (so good) 
we started out.
These are the two towers that are at the entrance to Goslar.


Kaiserpfalz - Kaiser's Palace
He was the first king of Germany.


One of the large churches:


The Marketplace - they had their farmer's
market going on so we had to stop to get some
fruit and pop.


These containers are large and only cost 1 euro each.
I couldn't believe we ate all of these raspberries.


We continued are search:
A water fountain in the middle of a cul-de-sac 


We walked every street


and alley around looking for the church.


We finally stopped for lunch at the
Die Butterhanne and had their Currywurst and fries.
I could so be addicted to Currywurst.
But their diet Coke is a joke. A glass of diet coke comes
in an 8 oz glass with ONE cube of ice and costs 1,80 euro.
A large bottle of beer is 2,30 euro. Everyone's walking
around with bottles of beer, even the teenagers. I just
want a nice cold LARGE pop please.


We went over to the ice cream shop for a scoop of ice
cream. As we were eating I was looking at their dessert
menu. This menu says spaghetti but when I looked
closer it looked like spaghetti with chocolate sauce on it.
Well that's what it was, ice cream that comes out looking
like spaghetti and then you can choose all these different
topping. You know what I'm having for dinner tonight!


Well our search continued for the church. We walked
every street and alley in Goslar and then started up the
mountain roads. We were getting tired and discouraged
and decided to call it a day and head back to the hotel.


We walked around the corner and Tom shouted, "OMGoodness,
there it is!" It wasn't the building the church met in 
but this is the house that he lived in. The
two front windows on the second floor was his apartment.
It was really cool to finally find something he remembered from
42 years ago.


It was sad that we didn't find the church. It was an old
building built in 1400 and had some unique features
(according to Tom). But at least we found his apartment.

Tomorrow we take two trains to get us to Stuttgart. It will
be fun to see our friends from Ohio, the Downers.


P.S.

I finally remembered to take a photo of our hotel.
It's very old, but really nice. The beds in Germany
hotels are the absolute best. I want to take one home.


We went back to the Market Place to have some dinner 
and decided to try German Pizza. Sorry no picture but
it was really good.
Then as we were getting ready to return to the hotel, Tom
said lets try one more time to try and find the church.
Well guess what? He thinks we found it.  After he
discovered where his apartment was it helped him to get
his directions better and we found "the door."


When we get home we will compare this photo with the photo
he took of the church 42 years ago. 

As a reward for all the walking I did to help find "the door," we
went and had some Spaghetti ice cream from the menu I
posted above. It was really really good and I savored every
bite.


Will report from Stuttgart tomorrow!





2 comments:

Kate said...

That Goslar is the CUTEST little town! Everything looks like it's out of a fairytale or something. So glad you found the door! And that spaghetti ice cream looks so weird! Paige loves the heart waffles. :)

Anonymous said...

Your mom just introduced me to your blog. What an awesome trip and what a beautiful place. We could do with a bit of that abundance of water over in this desert land!