Friday, July 18, 2014

STUTTGART

We arrived at our friends, Ron and Keri Downers after leaving
Goslar. It was a long train ride but the train was a great
way to see the countryside. They live in Stuttgart.
The Downers drove us to Tubingen. It is a college town
with a lot of old history. 


The buildings are beautiful and old.


In the town square:


Next to the old church (cathedral). It was too big to get
the entire church in the picture.


The next morning we got up really early (5:00am) and drove
south to Garmisch. This is were the 1936 winter Olympics
was held. Behind us is the ski jump.


Then we hiked up the mountains (Alps) behind the
Olympic stadium.


There is a narrow pathway cut into the side of
the mountain you walk through to get to the other side
of the mountain. The river is beautiful and not
calm like it looks in the picture. It was raging.


Lots of waterfalls:


The Downers have a tradition that when you finally
reach this point in the hike you have to have your
picture taken with the wife on the shoulders
of the husband. It wasn't easy.


A view of the Alps from one point on the hike.


The farmers gather the grass for the goats and sheep and
put them on these poles. Then the animals come by and
eat from the stacks. I thought they looked like dead
bodies that had been staked up.


On our way down the mountain there was this awesome bridge. 
It is too bad that you can't see how high up it is. Quite scary.


Just another view of the valley from the Alps



We them drove over to another part of the Alps where they
had an Alpine slide. First you had to ride up the stair lift.
It was about a 20 min ride, it was that far up.


Then you got into one of these coasters


And down you went along this track.


I wish you could have seen how long and how twisty
the track went. It scared me too death. But it was one
of the funniest things I have ever done.


Then we drove over to the next town. I can't remember
what the name is and everyone is asleep so I can't ask.
But this is where we spent the night.


It's a quaint little town. We had the best German
food at a little cafe. Tom is having a blast practicing
his German. He is quite good.


I wish I took better pictures. I felt like I was in the
Sound of Music.


The little place we stayed was darling. This is the door
to our room. Look how thick the walls are. The room
by the way was named the Edelweiss Room. How
cool is that? 
Girls, remember dad singing Edelweiss at bedtime?


Well we have a big day tomorrow. We are going to tour
some really famous castles.


3 comments:

Krista Adamow said...

I love that tradition! I must have a copy of the picture of you on dad's shoulders. It is definitely my all time favorite of the two of you! You look so happy :)

Kendall said...

Ok literally the best post ever!!! The picture of you on dad's shoulders was classic and definitely made us all smile. I'm glad you are having so much fun but we are all anxious for you guys to get home!!

Kate said...

How fun to have them as tour guides! Great pictures!