The Downers drove us to a wonderful little city north
of Stuttgart, Rothenburg.
It's also a very old city with a lot of charm.
You enter the city through the archway under that
tower. I'm looking backwards, so we are in the city.
Walking down a street to the marketplace.
All over Germany there are plaques that have
been placed to memorialize those who suffered and
were killed during WWII.
This plague was really cool because the "shadow angel"
just under the star is not an angel, but an oil stain.
How awesome that it formed an angel.
Tom and Ron taking a stroll.
I love this city, it so quaint.
Keri and I had to buy these Birkenstocks. I don't think
anyone in the states will have these.
The Glockenspiel in the middle of the marketplace.
The two windows on either side of the red clock open
up on the hour and there is a guy in each window drinking
out of a beer stein.
One of the huge attractions here is the
Käthe Wolfardt Christmas store.
This truck is parked on the street outside the store.
Another part of the city.
The alleyway that leads to the city wall.
There's a wall that surrounds the city where
the soldier walked to guard the city.
The wall is very high up off the ground. We had to
climb a lot of chairs to get to the walkway.
You can see some white square plaques
on the left side at the top of the wall. Those are
plaques that have names and where they are
from of those who have contributed money to help
preserve the wall.
These holes are along the walkway. It's where the
guards would shot their arrows out of to protect
the city from the enemy.
This city is also known for their storks. It is their "city bird."
You can see one of the nests at the top of the roof.
Closer view of the storks. They are a
really interesting bird. I always thought they were
make-believe baby deliverers.
Photo-op
We went into two large churches. This pipe organ
was incredible. I wish I could have played it.
This is a Lutheran church. You had to pay to
get in further and we were short on time.
We went to a park south of town and this is a view
of Rothenburg from the park
Me and Keri
Another entrance into the city from the park.
One of the highlights is driving on the autobahn.
Ron loves his BMW and loves to drive fast.
He was going 200 km/hr, which is 120 mph.
At one point he had the car at 220 km/hr or 135 mph.
You really get to your destination quickly by driving fast.
Tomorrow after church we will fly out to Barcelona.
We are excited about going to church because a boy from
our Loveland ward is serving in this German ward right now
and we will get to see him. His mom told me she was really
jealous that we were here.
See you all in Barcelona!

2 comments:
How fun to see that missionary!!! (For him and you!) So why are the Downers in Germany?
What a charming town. I am just loving all of these posts!
I forgot to also mention that those are some super cute Birkenstocks! I've never seen any like that. I never even seen Birkenstocks anymore. How fun!
Post a Comment