Today I wish I had my granddaughters with us. We drove to
Neuschwanstein to see two very famous castle.
In the Alps, the first castle was acquired in the early 1800's by
King Maximillian II. It was in ruins, but was remodeled and
a lot of rooms added on. It was called
The Castle at Hohenschwangau.
Walking up to see the first castle:
The lake below the Castle of Hohenschwangau
Castle of Hohenschwangau:
King Maximilian II of Bavaria built this for his wife and
their two sons for a summer home.
He died and his oldest son King Ludwig II became king.
One of the gardens
We were not allowed to take pictures of the inside of the
castle because every wall was painted in murals and light
from camera flashes would dull the paint.
But this photo shows the entrance that the chariots would
take to deliver the king to the castle.
But King Lugwig wanted to build a larger castle so
he built the next castle to be his main home.
Next door on another part of the Alps is the
really famous Neuschwanstein castle.
This castle was what Disney used as a model for
the castle in Disneyland. It is on such a steep cliff that
we could not take a front view picture.
I would have loved my granddaughters to walk where
the princesses walked.
Another view:
But King Lugwig II had this built and when it was
partially finished he moved in but only lived for
116 days and then died. His death is a mystery but there
are many theories floating around. He was only 42.
Again we couldn't take pictures inside, but it was a
site I wish everyone could see.
I'm just waiting until our time to enter the castle.
Out of one of the windows in the castle I was able
to take this picture of the town below.
Leaving the castle and making the long walk down.
Neuschwanstein refers to the Swan. Everything has
a swan motief. Inside the castle there were
swans everywhere.
I wish I had more pictures to share.
But this part of Germany is breathtaking.

1 comment:
Oh, how fun to tour those castles! The scenery just looks amazing. Next time you can take your granddaughters along. :)
Post a Comment